There are 9 pages on this module which take 30 min to read. The associated questions at the end should take 5 min and should be attempted only after the module is completed.
The links are provided to make navigation through the module easier. They contain essential information that form part of this module.
Remember to click all the links and enable pop-ups in your web browser.
After reading the module the learner:
- Recognises acute presentations of neurological disease
- Recognises the effect of systemic disease on neurological function
- Describes the common causes of reduced conscious level
- Recognises the important physiological principles of maintenance of normal brain function and the pathophysiology associated
- Describes the management of the patient with reduced conscious level
- Recognises the patient with neurological dysfunction who requires specialist input (diagnostic, monitoring, therapeutic)
- Recognises the patient with neurological dysfunction who requires transfer to a specialist ICU and centre
- Describes treatment of raised intracranial pressure
- Describes management of status epilepticus